Meditation is an ancient spiritual practice that when completed correctly and consistently can help individuals achieve peace and equanimity. Meditation is not for those just on a spiritual journey – all of us can reap the benefits of meditation. With trained guidance, one can train their mind to improve their sense of presence, calm, attentiveness, and increase qualities from within – such as empathy, patience and you can even use meditation for memory enhancement functions.
And not only for guru’s or spiritual seekers, but the benefits of meditation for beginners are extensive. Despite some learners finding the art of mediation exasperating in the beginning, once they allow themselves to dedicate the time and regular practice students can realise the power of meditation.
Keeping reading to discover the top 10 benefits of meditation.
10 Potential Benefits of Meditation for Students
- Increase in IQ Level – a study conducted to test IQ levels in students revealed that Transcendental meditation had positive results and contributed to elevated IQ levels of students. Those students who further continued doing meditation also showed increased levels of intelligence, creativity, and reduction of anxiety (more on that later). An important factor to note is that the most significant improvement was seen in creative thinking, comprehension of information, and other cognitive manners.
- Concentration – when practised correctly, meditation has been linked to helping reduce stress and anxiety by 50% – resulting in the brain accurately performing the tasks at hand, better process information, and improve communication skills.
- Reduces Depression and Anxiety – With constant deadlines and a pandemic induced climate -today’s environment has made depression and anxiety a common mental health issue among students. As previously mentioned we know that forms such as Transcendental meditation can help in reducing anxiety, however not many are aware of its positive influence for aiding students who may be battling depression as well.
- Enhance Brain Functions and Rewire Neural Pathways – meditation can impact brain function. In numerous studies, University students who decide to actively practice meditation showed changes in brain areas that help regulate emotion and behaviours resulting in stronger cognitive performance.
- Encourage Positive Personal Change – perhaps almost everyone wishes to see positive changes within themselves. Students who meditate displayed more cheerful, confident, and overall lively traits. These calming traits in return helped them better perform under pressure-induced situations. It is unrealistic to think we will respond to everything calmly like Master Oogway, but what we do observe from regular practitioners is a shift over time, that while it appears subtle on a daily basis, the personal change is quite pronounced with time.
- Can Help With Obtaining Longer Attention Span – when administered regularly, mediation has shown to increase the participant’s ability to retain information for a longer period of time.
- Can Help Deal With Habits and Combat Addictions – addiction is a long-term battle, however, there is a way you can turn this journey into a successful one. “Successful addiction recovery is often related to an individual’s ability to develop and use a repertoire of coping behaviours, including the ability to maintain an ongoing awareness of one’s vulnerability.”
- Clear The Mind – clarity of the mind is very important for a student. It helps them regenerate more organised content during examinations and other tests. Meditation can help the student in achieving a clear mindset.
- Improve Sleeping Habits – in today’s pandemic-induced climate it has been getting harder to achieve a peaceful night’s rest. A good night’s sleep can help you start the new day with a fresh and with an active mind during school hours. Use meditation to calm your mind and acquire the much-needed rest you may desperately need.
- Can Help Achieve A Happier You – studies show that students who meditate more regularly are prone to showing high levels of affection towards others, boost in self-esteem, and are overall more emotionally competent. Resulting in a happier and better version of you.
Now that you know the benefits of meditation, it’s time to understand how easy it can be to achieve mental peace.
5 Easy Steps For Meditation
These steps are highlighted for beginners who wish to try meditation, for those seeking a more advanced journey should consult with a professional teacher.
- Find Your Meditation Spot – this place should be clean, and well ventilated. Also, a key thing to note is to not change this place too often – it is best if you can associate being calm with this place.
- Find A Comfortable Position To Sit In – wear comfortable clothing and make sure that you sit with your spine in a tension-free upright position. If you are sitting on the floor, a yoga mat can provide comfort and a block can be helpful to elevate your hips and let your knees fall.
- Un-cloud Your Mind – leave your thoughts outside your meditation area and just let the mind relax. It is normal for thoughts to come and go, just gently return to your practice.
- Close Your Eyes – although not necessary, but closing your eyes does make it easier to meditate.
- Sit and Observe Your Breathing or Simply Chant A Mantra – focus on your inhaling and exhaling. Realise the importance of every breath. If you have a mantra you prefer you can chant that as well – the important thing is to concentrate on your felt body experience in this given moment.
Who Are We
With many workplaces moving to online interaction, many people have had to make monumental changes in their lifestyles. Leading to them dealing with stressful environments – meditation sessions can significantly help in clearing your mind. Shala Movement brings you top quality yoga products to help you find flow in your home.
To buy a yoga mat or block to support your meditation practice search our store of ethical and sustainable products today.